Improve those beginner handwriting skills with the free pre-writing shapes board game printable! I always try to make handwriting activities fun for kids to learn and one of the easiest way to do that is to turn it into a game!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
Pre-Writing shapes are the writing strokes children should learn before attempting to write letters and numbers. There are 9 pre-writing shapes:
- Vertical Line
- Horizontal Line
- Cross (+)
- Left Diagonal
- Right Diagonal
Try to master them in this order! Start with tracing the shapes and then move on to copying.
- A one page board game of all major shapes (circle, cross, square, X, and triangle). A color and black and white option is included.
- A numbered paper spinner if needed. It can be used by holding a pencil in the center (or attaching a brass fastener) and using a paper clip as the spinner. Rolling a die works great, too!
You May Need:
- Movers for the game board (Use anything small! I like using small erasers or tiny figurines.)
- A paperclip
- Brass fasteners or a pencil (depending on how you want to use the spinner)
- Laminator or reusable dry erase pockets (if you want to trace the shapes)
Directions for Using the Pre-Writing Shapes Board Game
- Take turns using the spinner or rolling a die to move along the game board.
- Depending on the child’s skill level, draw or trace the shape you landed on.
You can always use pencils, crayons, or markers for making the shapes but I encourage you to get creative! For example, draw on a chalkboard, trace in sand, or form shapes with WikkiStix!
I recommend laminating the board game page and spinner to make it reusable. If you are using the spinner, use a hole punch or scissors to make a hole in the center if you are using a fastener to attach the paperclip for spinner (There’s no need for a hole if you are using a pencil, though!).
Not a subscriber yet? No worries! Use the sign-up form below to immediately get emailed the password and a link to the library!
What can you expect as a subscriber?
- Access to our growing library of free printables that are not available to download anywhere else on the website.
- Monthly emails filled with news about our latest printables, our favorite therapy finds of the week (items, news articles, and resources), and more!
- Be the first to know about discounts in the Online Store.
- Above all, you will have complete privacy. Your information will never be shared and we promise not to spam!
Do you have any tips on making handwriting more fun? Let me know in the comments below!